Friday, June 8, 2007

safari!

I was going to post photos today, but unfortunatly am sitting at a computer that doesn’t have a usb output AND I forgot my camera pluger-inner thing. Double suck. You’ll just have to imagine everything. Oh and I also did the brilliant thing of deleting most of the photos on my camera after I burned a cd of them, BEFORE I posted them on my blog, sooooo…photos of giraffes and y’know…unicorns and dragons…are gone until I get home.

I might turn all my thoughts into a few posts here so I don’t overwhelm you . I’ll tell you about our most recent weekend, and also tell you that you should check out my best friend here, leslie’s blog. The address is www.leslieinuganda.blogspot.com . she writes more detailed than me, and might give you a different perspective on mostly the same stuff..as we are together nearly 24/7. anyways…this past weekend we went on a SAFARI! At murchesin falls… we actually got to kampala on Thursday, being under the impression that our bus left on Friday…however, as things go in Africa, it decided not to leave until Saturday. SO we spent thurday and Friday in kampala which was actually REALLY sweet as we got to experience the “big city” and its luxuries like a MALL with a movie theatre and real stores in it, and a smoothie bar which was the highlight of my weekend. Screw the elephants, give me a smoothie and I’ll show some excitement. Anyways… our NGO contact in kampala took us out for a royally nice dinner and hooked leslie and I up with a travel agent who booked us mountain gorilla permits in Rwanda, for july 8th. YES!!!!! So leslie and I, after much distress trying to re-arrange our flights and stuff decided to leave Jinja a week earlier than proposed to head down to Rwanda for the last week we are here. So I will fly out of Uganda on july 15th, spend a few nights in London, and then carry on to arrive in Vancouver july 18th.

So in theory I could be home in summerland by the 20th or something…planning to catch some of the summer before heading to camp for senior high, hopefully flying to Montana for a friends wedding and then moving myself down to…where? Yes indeed, I still don’t know. I am currently at the top of the waiting list for the musical theatre program at capilano college in north Vancouver. However, in the meantime or unknown there I am registering (or my good friend Joanne is for me) at ucfv in chilliwack for the theatre program. So most likely it looks like I will be in chilliwack, with a chance of north van. But theres my life update. Now back to the safari

So after spending a few days in kampala, meeting rad people at our backpackers (check out their NGO www.krochetkids.com ) we took off Saturday morning 6 hours driving up north to murchesin falls, where its hotter than hell (or Jinja, anyways). Sunday morning at 6am we set off on a 4 hour game drive. The girls and I sat ONTOP of our safari van- which proved to give amazing views but very very sore bottoms. Yes we saw elephants, giraffes, baboons, birds and crazy elk and warthogs (pumpa!) and LIONS! It was fantastic. Actually more so than animals I loved the scenery- the landscape is just bloody UNREAL and African skies are God’s best masterpiece. The girls and I would bust into “circle of life” quite often and even once I started singing “goin’ on a lion hunt”..only to be told to shut up by our guide as I would scare the lions away. Ha!

We went on a boat cruise that afternoon to the bottom of the mighty waterfalls, as well saw loads of hippos and crocs and whatever else. It was cool. I got loads of sun. the bitter-sweet thing about my malaria pills is that they make me more susceptible to sunshine, which means I burn like a banshee but get a nice tan quite quickly. The drive home on Monday was the longest ride of my life. Oh well it was worth it.

That’s all for the safari blog- now I shall post another on more in depth thoughts.

No comments: