Friday, July 24, 2009

a grand ugandan evening

I thought would tell you about last night. As James and Miko are leaving today, last night we decided to have somewhat of a goodbye party for them out at Damali’s. I told Damali not to cook as I would bring out dinner for everyone- a normal thing to do in Canada, but in Uganda is an interesting situation. Take out? For over 20 people? What on earth are you going to bring? Rice and beans?

And that’s exactly what I brought!

During the afternoon my friends Mike, Charlie and I went to an African restaurant called highways that we frequent and ordered enough rice, beans, samosas, goat stew and chapatti for like 30 people. Then Mike and I went to the market and bought a ton of mangos, bananas, tomatoes and avocados and I spent a few hours making a few different salads to bring out. At 6:30pm we grabbed a crate of sodas from Zamo, piled people into a van and drove out to Damali’s. loads of people there- friends and staff at Sonrise, all our volunteers, GIVE staff, plus a few friends from my guesthouse- Jem and Mike, who’s it was there first time out at Sonrise. I’m always excited to bring new people out there as I think it’s such a wonderful place that is so full of life.

Honestly it couldn’t have gone any smoother. I feel like it made up for the dinner I tried to have with everyone at Zamo that just turned into such a nightmare! There was an obscene amount of food- everyone ate loads and there was enough leftovers that the staff don’t have to cook lunch today! We had a massive dance party, the babies stayed up with us eating sweets and prancing around to Rhianna and then some classic Ugandan tunes. We played games like copying each others dance moves around the circle and passing a cup around with things ‘to do’ in it, regarding dancing….so funny. So Ugandan. I made James give a speech, then Damali..and we all went around the circle saying something of encouragement to them. I believe my statement was, “thank you for being my easiest volunteers….” Hahahaha. Which they were, such a help to me in every way and I really will miss having them around. It’s always amazing to hear what other people think and feel and I couldn’t help but be proud of them, proud of working for GIVE international and excited for the future of this organization as I try to head up an expansion for the future…

We finally left around 10:30pm so they could maybe put the babies to sleep… sweaty and full from dancing and eating and laughing far too hard, we collapsed at home…Jem, Mike and I drinking tea on the porch marveling at what an amazing evening it was.

Bye James and Miko, you will be greatly missed!

Xxx vicks.

No comments: