Sunday, August 30, 2009

the amazing race to the last week...


As I’m nearing into my last week in Uganda for 2009, my head is filled with thoughts; of what I still need to do (why oh why do I leave some projects for the last minute), of who I need to spend time with, what placements I need to say goodbye too, when I’m going to finish off my school work stuff, what babies I’m going to try and fit in my suitcase.

My pace is a lot different compared to the rest of the summer now. As the majority of my close friends have left town already to go back to the UK or wherever, my nights out have toned down to good one-on-one or few people conversations, a few games of pool at 2 Friends or Reflections, or just staying at home and drinking tea on the sofa with my housemate Iain as we daydream about other travels and trips we want to do. I have ended up meeting and spending time with people I never would have anticipated- like the other night when I found myself getting drinks bought for me from one of the Mahdvani brothers- (pretty well the richest family in Uganda- V. famous over here. I think they own half the country or something). When you’re used to conversations with other development workers about village latrines and HIV education, it was quite a change in tune to talk about his private jet and the new hotel he’s building in Murchesin Falls. Interesting that even in a country ravaged by poverty there still seems to be the extreme wealth of western nations. ‘The richer get richer’ as they say..

Thursday I spent the night at Damali’s. She’s short of staff right now as a few of the people helping her have gone back to university and another girl quit, and of course all my volunteers are gone now (except Sandy and Tom). Anyway, I volunteered to spend the night with baby Steven so Damali could get some sleep. After a few hours of facebook stalking and eating meat and matoke we went to bed. Steven was pretty good- I only had to feed him 2 bottles (2am and 3:30am) however after the second bottle he thought it was play time and I spent an hour trying to lure him back into sleep; which eventually worked and I slept until 7am when a very lively Damali bounded into the room to say good morning.

About 2am Saturday morning I was woken up by my stomach in severe knots. This was followed by about10 hours of severe vomiting and diarrhea; which ruined my plans for Saturday of going to a Ugandan “Introduction” (the first of many marriage ceremonies) in Entebbe with Godfrey’s family as I was sick until about noon Saturday. I stayed horizontal the whole day as standing up and being vertical sent my head and stomach spinning. This also ruined my plans of having a Big Night Out and dragging Iain to Sombrero’s for the first time with Ellert and I; (which I believe he was more than happy to not happen) Instead we lay on Iain’s bed and watched the football match of Manchester United vs Arsenal and ate food from Zamo. (By 8pm I could stomach some toast and a few fries). So much for a big weekend on the town, but I was more than grateful to have someone willing to watch TV with me all day and keep me company.

Now it’s Sunday morning and I feel great- which would be even more exciting if it wasn’t torrential down pouring and I could actually go out and do some things. The rainy season has officially begun, especially on the days I plan to go outside and tan. So instead I am busy planning out my last week and crossing my fingers I’m going to be able to fit everything in. So far it’s filling up with a few days of family kit delivering, shopping and delivering donation items to a few placements, saying goodbye to placements, having staff dinners/dinners with friends in town, taking photos, visiting all my favorite restaurants (Aaswad, 2 Friends, Indulge) and spots (Bujigali falls, Adrift base) and a few places I actually have never been around here- like the Speke gardens and the town side of Lake Victoria.

I was discussing with my other housemate Ruth yesterday about how the first while you’re here (or anywhere new) you go out constantly- never saying no, because you want to make friends and make yourself a home here. But when it gets to the last week or two- you start to not care as much, not really wanting to put the effort in because that’s just going to be more people you have to say goodbye to. I’ve found that I do this all over the place- whenever I’m leaving Summerland, or the coast, or whenever I’ve been away travelling before to New Zealand, Australia or Uganda/Rwanda. I’m not sure if it’s good or not, if it’s somewhat preparing myself for the change that’s to come or what. Saying that and recognizing that, I’m going to make the effort this week to live as if it’s my first week here again (well, maybe not THAT crazy) but I’m not going to recluse and sit at home and watch movies for the fear of getting close in relationships and saying goodbye- again and again. I’ll be back in like, 9 months anyway. Tis better to have loved and lost than not to have loved at all, right?

C’est la vie. See you all (in BC) in a week!
Xxx vicks.

No comments: