Friday, May 25, 2007

childrens choir

This morning lindsey and I found ourselves at a local primary school seeking out some possible volunteer positions. We ended up outside in a field with the music director and true African childrens choir who proceded to wow us with their voices. It was fantastic! Only to be put on the spot myself when Gerald, the director turned to me and said, ‘ok, so…what would you like to teach them? A song? A drama?”

Ummmm what/????

I was caught off guard a little, with 30 kids standing in front of me expecting me to bust out some north American music with nothing but my measly vocal chords. (not like I can offer anything else either, even if I had it)

I felt at a loss, to say the least. So I stammered that I didn’t have anything prepared, So reluctantly the director (obviously disappointed at my lack of improv skills) got the kids to sing some African songs in their native languages..which was oh so freaking cool, way cooler than anything I could possibly think to TEACH them??? ME?? What on earth could I offer???

BUT anyways I am pumped, as I will be helping out for an hour everyday at the school getting the kids ready with their songs/poems/dramas for national ‘childrens rights’ day coming up next month. Also I’m going to be teaching a bible study there on Wednesday afternoons, which is awesome.

Kids singing and clapping and shaking their booty is pretty much the coolest thing in the world.

No comments: